We believe planning a funeral in advance is a positive and financially prudent way of putting your affairs in order. It reduces unnecessary stress and financial burden on family members and can help to provide you with a greater sense of control and peace of mind. Try our Planner Tool with step by step instructions and price estimates at each stage.
Usually, we will not wish to leave all the stressful tasks for others and often benefit from a greater sense of calm and control when we have looked after an issue ourselves. This also applies to funeral planning.
Most of us plan for the years ahead. We plan for almost every aspect of life. Having a family, holidays, weddings and retirement are all events to which we give serious thought. However, because we may not like to think about death, many of us avoid making important decisions in advance about our funeral.
Many people today pre-arrange their own funeral. This involves spending time with our funeral consultant, who records relevant information about the choices you make for your funeral.
PRE-ARRANGING AND PREPAYING YOUR FUNERAL
Pre-arranged funeral plan
The information is held by the funeral home and, at the time of need, assists the surviving family members in the funeral arrangement process. The payment is made at time of need at the rates then applicable.
Pre-paid funeral plan
This is simply a way of arranging and paying for a funeral in advance.
Today we are encouraged to plan ahead. Pre-planning your funeral gives you the peace of mind that your choices will be acted upon. Pre-paying the funeral fixes the cost of the items selected and paid for at today’s price, your family will not be faced with any increases to these costs (excluding statutory changes which may affect prepaid funerals). This is true peace of mind. The emotional and financial stress of arranging the funeral would be taken care of. For a more detailed account of Pre-paid Funerals, ask for our brochure with the bonus personal profile included.
The benefits of a pre-paid funeral:
- Knowing that your loved ones will be relieved of many burdensome decisions at one of the most difficult times of their lives.
- Husband and wife pre-planning together avoid the ‘at need’ confusion of well-meaning relatives.
- Avoids the need to make many decisions in a very short time.
- Provides time for you to think and reconsider, knowing that the funeral will reflect your expressed wishes.
- Arranging your own service ensures that it is conducted as you wish, not as others wish.
- Planning for the inevitable is logical and right; it just makes good sense.
- Assures an appropriate service, eliminating concern about the family getting ‘carried away’ because of grief, exhaustion, sorrow, confusion or guilt.
- Knowing that the funeral will not be a financial burden on your family.
- Protects against inflation by ‘freezing the price’.
- Making an outlay for funeral expenses at a time when it’s more affordable.
- Life insurance can be used for family expenses, as it should be.
- Monies paid are no longer part of your estate and therefore not subject to estate administration expenses.
WHO SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE PLAN?
Some people may feel comfortable discussing their funeral plans with a spouse, adult children or another member of the family.
Others, however, may prefer to make arrangements directly with Leanne O’Dea in complete confidence. We would strongly advise that, if the immediate family is not informed, a trusted friend, solicitor, executor or your GP be notified when a plan is purchased.
YOUR FAMILY ALSO BENEFITS FROM A PRE-PAID FUNERAL PLAN
Many people are concerned about who will have to meet their funeral expenses when death occurs. In the future, someone will be responsible for making the funeral arrangements and paying for them. One way of handling this responsibility is to shift the burden from the family by arranging a Pre-paid Funeral Plan.
HOW DOES A PRE-PAID FUNERAL PLAN WORK?
A Pre-paid Funeral Plan is a contract between you and funeral director. A Pre-paid Funeral Plan is simply a way of arranging and paying for a funeral in advance. The price of the funeral is fixed at present-day rates and Leanne O’Dea will carry out the funeral, as arranged, whenever it is required in years to come.
HOW SECURE ARE MY FUNDS?
The administration of the funds is handled by a well-respected independent public company. Leanne O’Dea O’Dea has a contractual obligation to perform the services specified in the contract. The complete security of the plan is assured by the reputation and experience of Leanne O’Dea Pty Ltd who have been serving the people of Western Australia since 1888
THE PLAN IS OPEN TO EVERYONE
Any person, regardless of age or state of health, can take advantage of a Pre-paid Funeral Plan at any time. No declarations are necessary and there is no time limit on when the service is to be provided.
Pre-paid Funeral Planning is seen by many people as a realistic and sensible priority for later life, ensuring family security and peace of mind.
Our Pre-paid Funeral Planning Division has grown each year, as people from varying walks of life have become more aware of the many benefits the service offers.
HOW MUCH DOES A PRE-PAID FUNERAL PLAN COST?
The cost of a Pre-paid Funeral Plan will vary, depending on the type of funeral service that you choose. A consultant will discuss with you the different types of funeral services, including burial, cremation and other options. Many people now pre-pay for their funeral earlier in life because the cost is more affordable, the price is protected against inflation and they can become involved in the decisions made on the funeral.
CAN YOU PAY BY INSTALMENTS?
Instead of paying the agreed cost of the Pre-paid Funeral Plan immediately, you may choose to pay by regular monthly instalments over 12, 24, 36, 48 or 60 months. Leanne O’Dea can accept payments made by direct debit facility.
If the funeral is required before the plan has been paid in full we will still conduct the funeral in accordance with your wishes. Payment of the outstanding amount will then be the responsibility of the person authorised to finalise your funeral arrangements, with our usual at need terms for the outstanding balance.
WHAT IF MY CIRCUMSTANCES CHANGE?
You have the right, at any time during your lifetime, to cancel the agreement and withdraw from the plan. With the exception of administration expenses, all monies paid by you would be refunded. No interest earned is refundable.
WHAT SERVICES ARE COVERED BY MY PRE-PAID FUNERAL PLAN?
The facilities and services listed below will be made available at the agreed fee. The Standard Service makes available all or any of the following:
- Day and night service and attention every day of the year.
- Private ambulance for transfer of the deceased from the place of death to our modern premises.
- Trained staff to advise upon and complete the many aspects of funeral matters.
- Private arrangement conference facilities.
- Procurement of necessary medical cause of death or coroner’s certificate.
- Obtaining necessary cremation permit and preparation of cremation documents.
- Preparation of death registration form and lodgment with the Registrar General’s Department.
- Preparation and insertion of notices in metropolitan, country or interstate newspapers and overseas publications (publication fees are extra).
- Ordering floral tributes on behalf of family (cost of tributes is extra) paid at time of funeral.
- Attending to pallbearers, if required.
- Arranging attendance of Minister or civil celebrant.
- Liaison with clergy and co-ordination of church.
- Liaison with cemetery or crematorium for your needs.
- Preparation of the deceased for burial/entombment or cremation (extra fee charged for embalming).
- Provision of hearse and one limousine. (Additional limousines available at extra cost.)
- Use of our air-conditioned Chapels and premises.
- One half-hour viewing of the deceased during or after normal office hours.
- Collection and return of all floral tribute cards.
- Provision of flag, if required.
- Balloons, DVD’s etc. (additional cost)
As per Standard Service, except that the funeral service is conducted at one venue only (e.g. at church, chapel or cemetery). Viewing of the deceased takes place during normal office hours.
ESSENTIAL CARE SERVICE
As per intermediate service, except that a mourning car is provided, which transports the family directly from their residence to the funeral venue.